Friday, July 29, 2011

Dr. Todd's soon to be famous energy bars

1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup
1 cup chunky natural peanut butter
2 2/3 cups oatmeal
1 cup of flour
1/3 cup protein powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup unsweetened dried coconut
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Procedure

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.  Lightly grease a 8 X 11 Pyrex baking pan.  (Don not use non-stick cookware)
2.  In a large bowl, mix the syrup and peanut butter together.  Make sure to use a WOODEN spoon and not something flimsy.
3.  In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients.  Stir this into the peanut butter and syrup mixture a little at a time.  It gets think quickly and your arm will get a workout.
3.5 Or you could just put everything in a big mixer.
4.  Press into the Pyrex and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
5.  After they are finished baking, let sit for for 30 minutes.  Cut into bars while they are still warm.  They store easily in a gallon Ziploc or individually as well.

Now, before everyone starts to freak out, let me explain a few things.  First of all,  I understand the allergy aspect of things.  If you are allergic to peanuts, DON'T USE PEANUT BUTTER.  Use almond butter or whatever you would prefer to substitute.  I am also aware that peanuts tend to carry molds.  If you have a problem with yeast and or candida, this probably will not work for you.  Second, don't use soy protein.  I don't care what anyone says, soy isn't good for you (the Japanese do it differently, so that doesn't count).  Third, I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten free oats.  I don't think it's possible to get a completely gluten free oatmeal (I could be wrong), but I have patients that are sensitive to gluten and they do fine.  I haven't had anyone with full blown celiac disease try these.  If you are a celiac patient, be careful.  Don't just dive in.  "Test the waters" if you know what I mean.  Fourth, I don't use regular wheat flour.  I substitute 1/2 cup millet flour and 1/2 cup buckwheat.  Not only is it better texture, but they are gluten free grains.  Combining these two grains also makes a complete protein (contains all the essential amino acids).  Buckwheat can tighten your capillaries so it can help with easy bruising.

I don't know how these rank on the glycemic index, so don't ask.  I have eaten them for years and so has my wife.  We are very aware of how we feel when we eat things and have never had a problem.  I have had many patients who are hypoglycemic and they have done very well also.

Warning:  these taste very good, almost like an oatmeal cookie.  They are filling and will give lots of energy. 

These are great as snacks and great substitute for the crappy granola bars you can get anywhere.  I would tend to think they would be just as filling as cold breakfast cereal (better too).

Try them and see.  I would love feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment